Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tool to compare 2 data sets

Hi all,

One if the most common data-investigation tasks we have to do is comparing 2 data-sets.   This may be making sure the columns are the same, field-name match, or even looking at row data.   I think that this would be a tremendous addition to the core toolset.   I've made a fairly good start on it, and am more than happy if you want to take this and extend or add to it (i give this freely with no claim on the work).

Very very happy to work with the team to build this out if it's useful

Cheers

Sean

8 Comments
shotofsean
5 - Atom
Thanks!

I can put the unique Key into the first field no problem. But would you
kindly elaborate on "take off the row-ID process" please?
shotofsean
5 - Atom

Tremendous work Sean.

Quick question.

Am I right in thinking that the changes in the row data are identifiable via the Row ID (which is an integer referring to the row number in the left data set) ?

If so, is there are way to replace this identifier or key with a key within the original data set, such as a customer ID number or a project ID number within your macro?

Thanks again.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Absolutely - you could change this fairly easily by making sure that the key you want to use is the first field in data set, and then take off the row-ID process.   that should give you the outcome you're looking for.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @shotofsean

I'm working with @TaraM to get a blog published on this tool - hopefully that should help you with your questions.   Give me a few days, and hopefully we can get this out.

Thanks for the interest

Sean

j-f
5 - Atom

Hi Sean,

I'm really interested to see the outcome of this.  Have you got a link to the blog?

Kind regards

Jackie

sethuprc
5 - Atom

Hi, I am new to Alteryx and I have 2 set of data to compare and data looks like below

Input 1

IDQtyProductPriceFileName
ABC50Chair12.58D1
DEF100Toys17.53D1
ABC25Chair12.58D1

Input 2

ABC-50Chair12.58D2
DEF-100Toys17.53D2
ABC-15Chair12.57D2
ABC-30Chair12.58D2

Output

ABC50Chair12.58D1
ABC25Chair12.58D1
ABC-50Chair12.58D2
ABC-15Chair12.57D2
ABC-30Chair12.58D2
 -20Product MatchPrice Mismatch in D2 
DEF100Toys17.53D1
DEF-100Toys_B17.53D2
 0Product MisMatchPrice Match 

There is no unique field to join. it is kind of probable matches by grouping and identify what is the difference in sum of qty or mismatch in product and price. Any help would be appreciated 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I think @MarqueeCrew's Delta Macro might do what you're looking for:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/CReW-Delta--Alpha-/5b41141b826fd3116445fee8

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes