The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tool to add Columns if they do not exist

I suggest an additional tool that would allow adding columns to the data, if and only if they do not exist already.

Currently working with data that has a dynamic set of columns can be a bit tiresome as the Select tool will not allow to select columns that have not been witnessed in the data.

Adding a tool that would ensure that certain columns are available downstream can currently be achieved by:

1. 'Append Fields' tool with a 'Text Input' tool which will always append the fields, renaming them on the fly if needed
  2. 'Union' tool with a 'Text Input' tool

Both options do not seem straight forward and I expect have a performance impact.

A separate tool to achieve this seems the more user friendly and performance oriented way.

7 Comments
soncoku
9 - Comet

I'm having the same exact problem.

Did you manage to solve it??

pkuenstler
5 - Atom

I am still using the Append Fields tool. It works but is not nice.

soncoku
9 - Comet

I'm using that too for the moment, it does the job.

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

i face same issue.

i fixed it via text input tool + union tool

explain further,

1. Create text input , only create field, no rows.(need not to filter later)

Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1607585929140.png

2. Union it with your data.

and that it. 

btw, i not understand how the append work...

Bharadwaj
5 - Atom

The union fix helped. Thanks 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

BobR
8 - Asteroid

This will make cleaner code. My code is littered with text input -> union -> filter for this purpose.

I think adding a tool that looks like select "or" adding the feature to the select tool would be great.