The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tool Containers and Comment Boxes cause Lag

I use large workflows with multiple comments and tool containers to document and organize the different sections of the workflow. The issue I continue to run into is whenever I have to move or edit a comment box/tool container or a tool within a comment box/tool container my AlteryX freezes up and becomes unresponsive for a period of time. This issue seems to happen more frequently if you are sharing your screen. Has anyone else experienced this lag? Are there any work arounds to minimize the down time when using comment boxes or tool containers?

9 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Can you tell me a little more about what you are experiencing?

• Are you trying to move one comment or tool container or multiple or all of them?
  • Are you using the keyboard or the mouse to move the containers?
  • About how long is the time period of unresponsiveness? Are you experiencing a few seconds or more than a minute?

Thanks!

Kdoms
5 - Atom
  • Are you trying to move one comment or tool container or multiple or all of them?
    • I've noticed this occurring when we move or edit one comment or container but they are within another comment or tool container.
  • Are you using the keyboard or the mouse to move the containers?
    • Normally I use the mouse to move comments or tool containers. Would the keyboard be a better choice?
  • About how long is the time period of unresponsiveness? Are you experiencing a few seconds or more than a minute?
    • The normal wait time can be anywhere around 15 seconds to a few minutes

Thank you!

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the quick response!  There is a similar issue that we've resolved, but it was specific to moving multiple tools/comments/containers in a large workflow. The fix we made does seem to make moving a single container or comment a little smoother, so hopefully you'll see an improvement with the 11.7 release. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Nick_Yarbrough
8 - Asteroid

YES! Thank you!

I don't even run that large of workflows ~2k tools and i bet 1/10th of my time is spent staring at my computer screen with the "really?" face.

Nick

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Several additional improvements were made around comment and tool container lag for the 2019.3 release. Download it at http://downloads.alteryx.com

Nick_Yarbrough
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all!

Nick

Alteryx 11.7.4

bronto_data
5 - Atom

I'm using version 2020.3.5.30242 and I get the lag most of the time when I edit the name of the containers. So, not sure if this is still being mentioned, but this type of issue persists.