Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Too much Visual Query Builder blank space

I've had several of my users complaining about the Visual Query Builder view after the last couple of releases. When you maximize the window, half of the screen is taken up by blank gray space and there is no way to adjust it and it's very difficult for those who do not know SQL to build their queries in this very small white space. Need to be able to adjust the gray space.

visual query builder.jpg

35 Comments
Garrett_Kochner
5 - Atom

Like everyone else above has mentioned, I use the Visual Query Builder for designing most (if not all) of my queries. This is INCREDIBLY inconvenient considering nearly all of the tables I use have several fields to where I can't see them and also see what fields have been selected.

I don't see a reason for the blank space at all. I know it wasn't an issue in 11.7, but has been since upgrading to 2018.1. Any sort of update/patch would be awesome to have fixed!

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

@Garrett_Kochner FWIW, I also opened a support ticket.  I got a quick response letting me know that this is a Known Issue, it'll be fixed in 2018.2, which is due out sometime in June 2018.  I personally can't wait!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Matt_Curtis Unfortunately the first build of 2018.2 that was released yesterday doesn't seem to address the issue:

Capture.PNG

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Thanks @patrick_digan for the heads up!  I'm optimistic that it is still yet to come. The support reps' exact wording was "This is a known issue with the 2018.1 and the fix is scheduled to be released at the end of the quarter (~June 2018)."   

Andreasweiz
6 - Meteoroid

Same problem, it's big for us...

Alteryx, could you keep us posted on this?

Could you also give us the choice to save the table layout on that page. Having it reset every time we close is extremely frustrating.

Thanks,

Andreas

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks everyone for adding your comments to this thread on regards to the Visual Query Builder (VQB) resizing issue when maximized.

As an update, this issue is in our development's team backlog (DE14391) and will be addressed on our next release 2018.3, scheduled for Q3. If you would like to be notified directly when this fix in in place, please email Support at support@alteryx.com and reference this number: DE14391. Thanks !

Mark2
7 - Meteor

For such an important issue this seems like a long time to wait.

Andreasweiz
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed. The query builder is essential for us. Can you not come out with a hot fix?

For Q3 I would hope for a redesign of the query builder as even when functional, its far from user friendly.

Thanks,

Andreas

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @Mark2 & @Andreasweiz for your feedback. I'm passing it along internally. I'll keep you posted. 

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Thanks for the effort @MargaritaW, I echo their thoughts.  It's super critical to me.  I don't mind the layout and usability, but I think this idea is a really good one.  Please star this idea if you agree.