Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Time Interface Tool

I would like to see a time interface tool similar to the Date and Numeric Up Down tools. I am working on some macros where the user can select the time they would like to use a filter for the data. 

Example: I want all data loaded after 5:00 PM because its late and needs to be removed.

Example 2: I want to create an app where the user can select what time range they would like to see records for (business hours, during their shift, etc) 

Currently this require 2-3 numeric up downs or a Text box with directions for the user on how to format field with Error tools to prevent bad entries. It could even be UTC time.

Time Interface ToolTime Interface Tool 

13 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Would it be possible to have a Time question in an Analytic App, similar to that of a date question.

Thanks.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Great Idea! The only way I have been able to accomplish this is to use the text entry with formula logic to validate and add an error message if it's in the wrong format. Doesn't always work...

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Just a question, have you considered using a Drop Down to accomplish this?

You could set all of your values (AM and PM) that are acceptable.  This would be particularly useful if you want to control increments to be in 15-30 minute chunks.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Claje,

The Drop Down is a good option, but still requires a conversion of the field from String to Time in order to be used in an formula, this would be easy to do if field conversion for date time were possible in a formula, but they require the use of the DateTime tool to convert the field from text to time.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

I unfortunately can't attach a full example here (that I can see).

However, I just did some testing with a Time Field using a formula tool, and it seems like as long as the "Value" entered in the drop down includes seconds, you can insert it into a formula tool directly - no conversion needed.

You can also do the conversion directly in a formula via DATETIMEPARSE([YourTime],'%H:%M') - if this is entered into a field with the data type Time, it will return only a valid time with no conversion errors or other issues.  This avoids having to include a seconds value in your output.

Let me know if this helps!

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Claje,

I see what you meant about not being able to post a workflow. I did a mock up here. It does seem possible, its not the prettiest interface, but with a little work I think we might be able to build something with the HTML SDK. 

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

This would be helpful

davidhe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is a fantastic idea @andrewdatakim @Joe_Lipski it only makes sense given the data selector is already in place within Interface tools. Have either of you progressed with workarounds since this idea was posted? Thanks as always for your contributions!