community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

The Default Value For a 1073741823 V_String is ridiculous and never useful. Change it!

Who needs a 1073741823 sized string anyways?  No one, or close enough to no one.  But, if you are creating some fancy new properties in the formula tool and just cranking along and then you see that your **bleep** data stream is 9G for nine rows of data you find yourself wondering what the hell is going on.  And then, you walk your way way down the workflow for a while finding slots where the default 1073741823 value got set, changing them to non-insane sized strings, and the your data flow is more like 64kb and your workflow runs in 3 seconds instead of 30 seconds.  

Please set the default value for formula tools to a non-insane value that won't be changed by default by 99.99999% of use cases.  Thank you.

5 Comments
Alteryx
Alteryx

I'm puzzled by your observation that changing the limit on a variable width string changes the performance of a workflow. If you were talking about fixed sized strings, I'd understand. Fixed size strings (String and WString types) always use the size you say they take. Variable size strings (V_String and V_WString) use a few bytes to give the size, then use just the number of bytes the string actually needs. The limit is there only as a backstop; so you get a warning if the workflow does something crazy. Yet you observe that changing the upper limit changes the performance of the workflow. Can you show us an example of this? I wonder if there is something more going on here.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Duplicate

Meteor

Being able to set default values per workflow and/or per data stream would be much more useful than just changing the default.

Alteryx Partner

Duplicate of which previous idea? Can you please share the link?