The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tableau Documenter macro

Hi all,

Just to give you some context, we have a customer that requires that for every Tableau workbook we deliver, we must add extra documentation, as for instance, for every calculated field, in which views it's used, and the formula of that field (yes, I know exactly what you're thinking right now :P)

So I decided to take a shortcut and do a workflow that extracts the basic (I mean VERY basic) data from the .twb file, so I can save a lot of time. 

Then I came with this idea...

Having a lot of Tableau's under the hood experts in this Community, It would be great to gather some of them and create a Tableau Documenter Macro.

I'd love tho hear what you think, and who's being able to help.

7 Comments
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Great idea! Why not share what you started and we can build something out as a community.

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks Chris,

Here is what I have so far. It was just to save time, so still very rough. I'm attaching a link to Dropbox, not because of the size, but I couldn't find an attachment option here (another suggestion for the Community Team).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ffsiz5nhwze7jav/AAAlu9Ysbn77SFqkGLOdnueKa?dl=0

The macro actually parses part of the XML (or .twb) on the specific Child <"column". Then filters, assuming that "caption" and "calculation_formula" shouldn't be NULL to be included in the list.

Looking forward to advance in this mini-project with the Community.

Tharashasank
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,

It was a great idea.

Thanks,

Tharashasank

Tharashasank
8 - Asteroid
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Woow!

Awesome to see how a simple idea got into you guys! That's a really nice job!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Tableau-TWB-Audit-Workflow-Sharing-and-As...

I believe it should be posted in the Gallery too...

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!