Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Suppress empty files on Output Tool

The Output tool currently creates a zero-row file if you filter all the rows out (an empty file)

However - there's a very common need to say "don't generate a file at all if there are zero rows" - for example if you are generating a "Daily Details" file and there are no daily details today, you want to suppress this file.   This frequently trips up newer users since the only way to suppress a zero-row output file today is to it with macros.

Could you add a flag to the output tool to "Suppress empty files" so that if there are no rows to be written, Alteryx does NOT create an empty file?   This way the user can be in control of what to do with empty record sets?

7 Comments
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Love this idea.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I would very much like this feature.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your idea and feedback!

This is a interesting idea and I'm sure our product team would be interested in seeing how many users would like to see this feature in the product. Be sure to share this idea around as it helps our product team gauge interest as best we can.

charleswest
5 - Atom

Must have. When a simple feature isn't available and requires a multi-step workaround...well we work around it. I have a py script that deletes all files with no rows after a workflow is complete. I did this in py so it applies to all outputs and I don't have to replicate multiple steps every time I want to supress a zero record output. A simple check box that would supress file creation on specified critieria (like row count) would be way less lame. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be a nice feature to have! It's by no means perfect, but I've used the Take file/table name from field option which is a way to get around this issue. Since the only way it knows where to write the file is by referencing a field, a data stream with 0 records can't output an empty file since it no longer knows where to write the file. I've never come across a situation where this can't work, but I suppose it's possible.

patrick_digan_0-1636652356023.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

amtraker1777
7 - Meteor

Please add this as an option for the Output Tool