Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Suppress/Ignore Warning Messages

@AdamR_AYX,

Limit conversion warning allows for a minimum of 1 message.  Can we set the minimum to 0 to completely ignore the message?

Perhaps we can allow warning messages a similar function as ERROR messages and allow the designer to Ignore, Warn or Cancel?

ConvError: Imputation (441): Tool #104: No demand: 0.200000000000031 had more precision than a double. Some precision was lost.

ConvError: Summarize (456): Data: 0.360000000004675 had more precision than a double. Some precision was lost.

End: Designer x64: Finished running FP Model - Marquee Crew v3.yxmd in 32.3 seconds with 16 field conversion errors and 4 warnings

Thanks,

Mark

13 Comments
danielkresina
9 - Comet

I agree it would be helpful to be able to limit warning errors at times, particularly parse errors caused by the use of tools that dynamically generate field names such as the transpose or dynamic input tools.  Since these tools dynamically create fields at run time, downstream tools always report parse errors until the workflow is run since the field they use aren't created until runtime. 

It would be very helpful if the developer could choose when to suppress errors on certain tools (particularly parse errors).

FFFool
9 - Comet

Please!!! Now that we are using our scheduler enough to do reporting on the scheduler itself, I would LOVE to have more than like 2/80 workflows per day actually come out green. I understand some of the conversion errors are fixable, but a lot of them there is simply nothing we can do about. Specifically when an excel file that is brought in has the headers a few rows down and you get the rename error for every column. Like, yeah, I know, that's why I have a dynamic rename tool 2 tools down. I don't need the reminder every time. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The other thing that we were discussing with @BenG and @KatieH is to be able to right-click on warnings and apply a fix.

So - for the example of these kind of conversion errors - it would be relatively easy to provide the capability within the designer to give the user a right click option to "Add an explicit converter" before this tool, which would explicitly truncate it or do a clean & explicit type conversion.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I would be all about this one. It may also be important to discuss to the general community why this is important? To those of us who have been a scheduling admin we get it, but it might be good to have something out there about why it's important to clean up your workflows? @SeanAdams 

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your feedback! We like this idea and would like to revisit our error messages and error handling, however at this time we cannot fit this work on a near future release. We'll revisit this idea however when working on our future road maps and will update the idea again once we can speak on when or if this idea can be included.

BTO
5 - Atom

This would be extremely helpful especially for workflows that have been scheduled in Alteryx Gallery, fail and an event sends out the log. Trying to weed through all of the Warnings, and Conversion Errors too, would be nice to suppress when needed so that we just see true errors.

Per
11 - Bolide

Yes, please revisit this idea. I am struggling with a Fuzzy Match tool that works as needed, but still put a warning in our logs with The Key Generation might not be selective enough for optimal performance.

Likewise the Salesforce Input tool warns if field names are truncated when above 30 characters, with no way to suppress the warning. 

Should be possible for all tools to explicitly choose to suppress errors and warnings.

abrasch
8 - Asteroid

Agreed, please revisit. Some warnings are expected and it's hard to sift through valid to find invalid without the ability to suppress per tool.

SeanReadFord
6 - Meteoroid

Adding my vote for this.  I have an automated process running in batch that converts JSON output into Excel for a readable report and would really like to suppress the "ToolId 10: The FieldType of <fieldname> was changed to <type>" in my output, for cleanliness's sake.  31 messages each time Alteryx runs.

markthepaz
6 - Meteoroid

Revisit this please, we are getting mongo errors due to excessive conversion errors populating from a workflow.