Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Support for GZIP (.gz) compressed files in input tool, both in Designer and Server

Please support GZIP files in the input tool for both Designer and Server.

I get several large .gz files every day containing our streaming server logs. I need to parse and import these using Alteryx (we currently use Sawmill). Extracting each of these files would take a huge amount of space and time.

This was previously requested and marked as "now available", but what is available only addressed a small part of the request. First, that request was for both ZIP and GZIP. What is now available is only ZIP. Second, it requested both input and output, what is now available is input only. Third, while not explicitly stated in the request, it needs to function in Alteryx Server in order to be scheduled on a daily basis.

50 Comments
denny
8 - Asteroid
Yes. Tar should be supported too.

Thanks,
Denny
213.486.1793 (91793)
blyons
11 - Bolide
Yes, definitely tar files too. Many of mine are both tarred & gzipped.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.symantec.com)
steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Looking forward to using Alteryx to work with gz file, especially the OS mastermap topography layer.  It will be very cool to just get the necessary information from a bunch of gz files, without the need to load all the information to GIS softwares. With some advanced tools, it can still take tens of hours. eg. http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/blog/2015/02/23/loading-mastermap-free-easy-fast/  

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Large supply chain data for our company is also in gzip files on Amazon S3.  Need this supported.

ianweinstock
6 - Meteoroid

pretty, pretty please with sugar on top

hermanskym
5 - Atom

Any update on this? We would really use gzip support on input/output and S3

Thank you

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

I haven't heard anything from Alteryx.  We're starting to move our source system files to Amazon S# via gzip format.  We need it as well. 

@blyons wrote:

Please support GZIP files in the input tool for both Designer and Server.

I get several large .gz files every day containing our streaming server logs. I need to parse and import these using Alteryx (we currently use Sawmill). Extracting each of these files would take a huge amount of space and time.

This was previously requested and marked as "now available", but what is available only addressed a small part of the request. First, that request was for both ZIP and GZIP. What is now available is only ZIP. Second, it requested both input and output, what is now available is input only. Third, while not explicitly stated in the request, it needs to function in Alteryx Server in order to be scheduled on a daily basis.

AndyMoncla
10 - Fireball

I talked with Need Harding about this at Inspire.  Unfortunately if I understood correctly, the GZIP format is not conducive/formatted well for direct import to Alteryx.  Basically, it would be so slow that it wouldn't be worth it.

However, I think we could make the case for sacrificing speed so that we could take advantage of the scheduler during less busy times.  It would also save us having to unzip the files and then delete the unzipped files.

If we move to a hosted server environment, would it be more cost effective to 1) run slower reading GZIP files directly or 2) having the gigantic, unzipped files on the server?

blyons
11 - Bolide

I find this very strange, since Sawmill (https://www.sawmill.net/) can do it just fine, and is blazing fast.

I'd prefer to use just one tool (Alteryx), but unless Alteryx begins supporting this, I guess I'll just have to stick with Sawmill for log parsing. :( 

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

I agree @andy_moncla.  

Our enterprise is saying that if Alteryx can't support the gzip files their uploading into S3, then we should look into using other tools as well...which stinks.