The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Support for DAT files for Importing and Exporting

Our DAT file structure is as follows:

The first line of the .DAT file must be a header row identifying the field neames.

The .DAT file must use the following Concordance default delimiters:

Comma  ASCII character (020)

Quote    ASCII character (254)

Newline  ASCII character (174)

Thank you,

Pete Vara

3 Comments
rdoptis
11 - Bolide

Hi Pete,

I feel the issue with building a .DAT input tool is that not all .DAT files are the same. They can contain data in many different structures as its an "arbitrary data" file type. Are your .DAT files similar to CSV with commas separating quoted strings and each row being on a newline? If so, appending .CSV should allow the input tool to bring the data in fine. Additionally, even if you don't append the extension, Alteryx will recognize the file as a type it does not know how to handle, and will ask if you want to bring it in as delimited data (and it will give you a few options).

Hope this helps get you past your issue.

Regards,

Ryan

pvara
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your response. As a work around using the Output data tool. I set the Delimiters to \0 and Code Page to Unicode UTF-8.

That seems to work for now. And I am using the same parameters for reading the data from the Input tool.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive