Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Support for Azure Active Directory (AAD) authentication for various Azure Services

With more and more enterprises moving to cloud infrastructures and Azure being one of the most used one, there should be support for its authentication service Azure Active Directory (AAD).

Currently if you are using cloud services like Azure SQL Servers the only way to connect is with SQL login, which in a corporate environment is insecure and administrative overhead to manage.

The only work around I found so far is creating an ODBC 17 connection that supports AAD authentication and connect to it in Alteryx.

Please see the post below covering that topic:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-Designer-How-to-Connect-to-Azu...

6 Comments
esar
8 - Asteroid

This feature is more and more required. The workaround has problems also.

Jclark
5 - Atom

It would be ideal if the Alteryx Connectors Team could connect directly to Azure Delta Files and authentication through AD Accounts (without the requirement to share the Shared Key)!

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @tmschbgr1 ,

I'm accepting this idea because it's definitely our goal - to provide you with Azure authentication for Azure services. We've already implemented such method in  multiple connectors - Azure Data Lake, Sharepoint Files, OneDrive, Dataverse, Power BI. 

But you're explicitly mentioning the SQL Server, which we're going to support through ODBC and thus using version 17 will be the only possible way. 

Since there are multiple services (=connectors) that can be covered by your idea, could you please let me know which connectors you'd need to support this auth method in order for me to mark the idea as Implemented?

thank you

esar
8 - Asteroid

Hi @VojtechT ,

This is great news.

Data input tool using SQL server would be the most important.

Currently, the workaround is to use the ODBC driver but it pops out auth window every time you run the workflow.

esar_0-1631624809034.png

The same authentication types should have available than the Azure data lake store tool has.

esar_1-1631625476361.png

imaran_669
8 - Asteroid

Hi @VojtechT , great news you are working on this!!

I add you Snowflake as a requirement. Since you have a new partnership I think it will be interesting to have a simpler connection than we have now. Currently you have to configure de ODBC connector and when you try to pull data using Azure AD you get a browser popup that is very annoying. Plus it makes it unusable in scheduler.

Thanks!!

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

@VojtechT is there any update on an expected timeline for AAD & Azure SQL connections?