Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Suggestion to include support for Postgres in the In-DB functionality

Hello,

We have been storing data on the PostgresDB and would be using variables from these tables for modeling processes in Alteryx. The ODBC connectors for postgres don't seem to be geared towards optimal performance, hence it would be extremely useful if Alteryx came up with an in-db functionality for postgres database in the future release.

Thanks

19 Comments
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

jono_hct
5 - Atom

Hi AlexP, thanks for this. Can you connect to any PostgreSQL instance using the Greenplum functionality? I guess you'd need to use the Greenplum driver?

It would be great if the documentation here could be updated to reflect in-DB support for Greemplum/Postgres.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jono_hct,

Thanks for the heads up- we'll get that documentation updated.

We've tested compatibility with postgres 9.4, so we know that works using the Greenplum option via the Connect In-DB tools. And, we actually recommend using the postgres driver (version 09.06.0310) rather than the greenplum driver.

postgres.jpg

Best,

Alex

jono_hct
5 - Atom

Great, thanks - we're managed to get it working with the PostgreSQL driver under the Greenplum connection option. Helpful instructions are here for getting the ODBC connection set up.

Worth noting that the Greenplum driver isn't licensed to work with raw PostgreSQL databases so can't be used.

gcarmich
7 - Meteor

I want to use Alteryx In-DB functions in my PostgreSQL database.  If the Greenplum driver isn't licensed to work with raw PostgreSQL databases how can I setup the connection for In-DB?

jono_hct
5 - Atom

Set up the ODBC connection using the native Postgres ODBC driver (which you may need to install - if you're on Windows you probably want the latest driver here). Instructions are here for getting an ODBC connection set up.

Then...

Use the 'Connect In-DB' tool:

image.png

Select Greenplum as the data source:

image.png

Choose your ODBC Postgres connection from the 'Connections' box:

image.png

Then build your In-DB workflow, which should work fine in Postgres.

gcarmich
7 - Meteor

I setup the Greenplum driver  as specified (second image below). When I use it with the In-DB tools, the workflow doesn't return any results or errors (first image below).  Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that "Worth noting that the Greenplum driver isn't licensed to work with raw PostgreSQL databases so can't be used."  I'm not sure what "raw" means but could this be the issue?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea was implemented in version 11.5

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I can see Greenplum there as an option for in-db connections. Is this what is recommended when the database is Postgres, or should we use the standard ODBC connector and the latest Postgres ODBC driver?