Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Stop Workflow tool

It would be very helpful if there was a tool that could stop the workflow without throwing an error. Currently, you can use the message tool to throw an error on a certain condition, and then enable the "Cancel Running Workflow on Error" option in the Runtime settings, but when the workflow is stopped in this way, many other tools don't function such as the Output Data and Email tools. Simply adding a tool that stops the workflow without erroring that also allows the other tools to finish their job would be great. 

4 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @bhawkes03, thanks for your feedback! Can you explain what you mean by "stopping the workflow without erroring that also allows the other tools to finish their job"? Do you mean stopping specific threads in your workflow, or stopping the entire workflow altogether? How would the tool know when to stop the workflow?

Perhaps you could provide a use case that demonstrates your suggestion. For example, when reading and writing to the same file, you want to be sure all records are read and processed before writing back to the file; in this case, you'd use the Block Until Done tool to ensure the entire file is read before being written to. Thanks for clarifying!

bhawkes03
6 - Meteoroid

@CristonS I was thinking that the tool could stop the workflow entirely. This could be when a condition is met based on how it's programmed. The Message tool has a similar configuration as to what I think would work good for this new tool. Let me give you an example of how I've used the message tool in the past to provide a similar effect:

On the Message tool, you can "Send a Message - Before Rows Where Expression is True". You can then make the message type 'Error', and then select the 'Cancel Running Workflow on Error' Option in the Runtime settings. The only issue when we do this approach is that email tools won't send if the workflow stops because of an error.

It would just be nice to be able to halt the workflow when a condition is met. Does this make sense?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be nice!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes