Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Stop Formula Highlighting in Field Names With Parentheses

I use the field name auto-complete feature whenever I can. One issue with it, however, is when there are parentheses in a field name. After auto-completing the field name, Alteryx highlights a portion of the field name after the first parenthesis. This is not ideal as I typically expect the cursor to be at the end of the field name so I may continue to type. In this scenario, unfortunately, I would begin to type over my field name and the expression gets messed up. 

For example, as shown below, I begin to type "st" and then hit the tab button to complete the field name in my expression.

Kenda_0-1609951383915.png

In this case, because my field name has parentheses in it, however, some of the field name remains highlighted and the cursor does not go to the end of the right bracket, as one would expect.

Kenda_1-1609951450797.png

If I were to continue typing at this point, the highlighted portion of the expression would get erased and replaced. 

Field names that do not contain parentheses continue to function correctly as shown below. 

Kenda_2-1609951545766.png

Kenda_3-1609951564063.png

10 Comments
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yes, this is sooooo annoying!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

yes please!

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Working in finance (Tax) field names regularly have something like Balance (Dr/Cr.) in it. Kenda's proposed idea would benefit us.

Thanks,

Seth

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Please do this.

Also, @Kenda when we discussed this pain point at the ACE roundtable, I knew I had found a kindred spirit.

Thanks for posting!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and such a thorough idea! I know it seems silly but the pictures are a great help for our product team.

All the engagement on this idea is already great, but be sure to share this idea, as it really helps us get a grasp on how interested users might be in this feature.

Eli_B
10 - Fireball

OMG, please fix this!

mst3k
11 - Bolide

Adding onto this because you have spaces as well-

If you start typing "[State Co"

The predictor will suggest [State Code (FIPS)], but if you select it, it will only replace the "Co" so you wind up with:

[State [State Code (FIPS)]

and you get immediate errors. If you start typing a field with an open left bracket [ then selecting a predicted field should replace everything back to that bracket

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Good point @mst3k I agree, Alteryx should be able to know where the start of the field name is based on the open bracket and replace the whole beginning part your typed.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

This is a great idea - this trips me up every time, especially when I try to keep typing and 'autopilot' the rest of my formula.