Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Sort Tool - Optimize for user speed

Hi there team,

When using the sort tool - it's impossible to really develop much speed and muscle memory because you're always having to switch between keyboard and mouse.

Can we please add to the sort tool to make this a hyper-quick experience for the user?

Current Experience:

SeanAdams_0-1640534089005.png

I currently have the select tool selected want to add a sort after this to sort on 3 columns:

• I hit ctrl-shift-f to go to the advanced find
  • Then type "sort"
  • Then I switch from keyboard to mouse, and drag this sort tool on to my canvas
  • I then want to start configuring this tool - so I need to then need to mouse across to the configuration box
  • hit the drop-down box with the mouse to get focus on that row in the sorter
  • type or mouse select the right field - this is especially painful if there are a lot of fields
  • then mouse again to get to the ascending / descending sort option
  • then repeat for all other fields

Proposed alternative path:

I want to add a sort tool immediately after the currently selected tool:

• ctrl-alt-s (my user-defined shortcut for the short tool)
  • control-space to enter config mode which defaults to configuring sort order for first field
  • start typing the field-name - this does a look-ahead search like google.com does
  • when I find the field I want, hit tab and have the same experience with asc / desc
  • hit tab again, go to sort row 2 - repeat
  • NEVER have to touch the mouse

As we all know - when you develop muscle memory for an IDE - not only does this remove the barrier between thought and delivery - but it also makes it more sticky as a platform (you don't want to change products because you are used to the keyboard shortcuts on this one) - so not only would this improve user speed - it would also make sense from an economic perspective for retaining customers through stickiness.

cc: @Hollingsworth 

5 Comments
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SeanAdams 

Click recommended tools in palette. 
double click sort tool

click/scroll 3 fields 

my fingers were always on my mouse

cheers,

mark

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

You had me at "NEVER have to touch the mouse".

Also, and at the risk of plagiarizing myself, Alteryx Designer is an IDE [Integrated Development Environment] and should have all relevant UI/UX customization you would find in the IDE software feature set. Custom shortcut mapping is low-hanging fruit.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

CristonS_0-1641856852840.png

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Agreed. one of the biggest speed improvements i've ever had in a software was switching from mouse -> keyboard in excel. It stands to reason, the more i can stay on the keyboard in Alteryx, i'd see similar gains. 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes