The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Smartsheets input and output connector needed

Connecting to Smartsheets using Alteryx Desktop (and by extension, Alteryx Server) is extremely cumbersome. If a user wants to read data from Smartsheet, they are required to get an API token (preferred) or use a username/password

Then do one of the following to read data from Smartsheets:

1. a. Install a ODBC driver

b. Configure a DSN connection for ODBC
    c. Use the input data using a generic ODBC connection
or
2. Use python

To write data to Smartsheets, a user can use Python or upload the data using an API call - both very hard for end users to use especially if they're not Python developers.

Regardless, all of these are problematic. On the server I manage, I have over 15 ODBC connections to Smartsheets and it's getting very hard to upgrade the server hardware because of them. Creating a native connector for input/output of data to Smartsheets will eliminate a headache of managing ODBC connections, and make it simple for Alteryx Desktop users to read and write data.

10 Comments
Shmoore
5 - Atom

This would solve so many problems. I use SmartSheet all the time with many different input and output solutions. If I could avoid having to manage all these different options just to use one data tool with alteryx that would be most ideal. Thanks for submitting this request, @TheCoffeeDude!

liltb19
5 - Atom

This would definitely solve a lot of problems. The idea of dragging one tool onto the canvas to navigate through SmartSheet data would be convenient and alleviate many headaches for several users. Great suggestion @TheCoffeeDude!

jamielsheehan
5 - Atom

Great suggestion @TheCoffeeDude ! We are in desperate need to simplify workflows to and from SmartSheet. @alteryx get to it!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

kono316
5 - Atom

This would be amazing, Alteryx folks!

alesmith
5 - Atom

heavily incorporated as a data source in our org please add!

pjakkula
5 - Atom

Current Smartsheet configuration to setup/maintain by Alteryx admin on Gallery is not easy and even for Alteryx users to manage Smartsheet connection on there Designer, definitely creating  an native connector for input/output of data to Smartsheet will be huge plus for Alteryx users  who are using Smartsheet's.

pjannison
5 - Atom

Wow!  What a great way to simplify working with SmartSheets!

aritradey2023
5 - Atom

Good suggestion.

guth05
6 - Meteoroid

Our company would use this a lot!