Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Single password change... for everything

The idea is to store credentials, login/pw in a "credential alias".

Then, those credential aliases can be used in :

-traditional aliases/connection

-in database aliases/connection

-hdfs aliases/connection

-API

-on user aliases for connected controllers/gallery

...etc.

The idea is that I only have to change the credentials once for all the connection type (on Hive, I have the in db alias, the traditional alias and even an HDFS alias using exactly the same credentials !! and I have to change all that manually).

9 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @saubert

This capability is available on the server for database connections - and I agree that this needs to be extended to cover APIs; sharepoint; network shares etc.

Have a look at the ideas logged under the Server (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/idb-p/server-ideas) and you can contribute your thoughts to these threads too?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepted

Our product team is very interested in including this feature into the product, and we've started the preliminary work to do so. So I'm updating this idea to accepted. However, please note that this is a large feature enhancement and will take some time to properly implement into the product. We'll update this idea again once we get closer to the release of this feature.

phoebe_kelley
9 - Comet

YES! This would be great, my main use cases would be Sharepoint access tools and the tableau output tool. Every 90 days I must go into all my workflows that access these data sources and update credentials.

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @KylieF 

Do you have some news on this topic ? It was accepted 18 month ago.. 

Best regards,

Simon

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hello @KylieF,

while reviewing ideas, I stumbled across this one and I think the implementation of DCM in 2021.4 solves this idea and the status should be changed to 'Implemented'.

DCM = Data Connection Manager

Link: https://help.alteryx.com/20214/designer/dcm-designer

Best

Alex

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @grossal  and @KylieF

It's only partially (25%) implimented and as of now, it's not a great revolution :

-do not work for in-db
-do not work for API
-do not work for any connector

So, now, still not 100% implemented

Best regards,

Simon

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @simonaubert_bd,

hmmm. I get your point. I'd see it that way that the general feature is implemented and that every team has to pick up the new DCM endpoint to make them available in their tools.

Especially connectors are often developed from different teams that aren't part of the core engine/designer teams. 

I'll probably open up another idea requesting extension of DCM for e-mail, download-tool and the events. 

Best

Alex

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi all, I'll check into some status updates on this and report back as soon as I'm able.  Thanks for the ping! 

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

We have implemented this credential storing functionality in 2021.4 through DCM (Data Connection Manager)! We continue to make improvements and expand the scope (including external vault support with HashiCorp and CyberArk in 2022.3!) for DCM, so if you have additional requests for specific expanded functionality, please continue contributing in the Ideas boards to post new feature requests and show your support for existing ideas! 

For more info on DCM: https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/dcm-designer

For more info on External Vault Support using DCM: https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/dcm-external-vaults