Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Shortcuts / Keybinds for everything

I'd consider myself as a power user in most of the tools I use. No matter what program it is, I try to learn most of the useful shortcuts and code them into my mouse or keypad.

grossal_0-1580197434351.png

It's probably pretty uncommon that someone uses a mouse with 12 extra keys or a keypad, but I think many people would be happy to have the option to define shortcuts for everything. I don't really ask for shortcuts for everything by default, but a menu like Microsoft Word has it, that would be great.

For reference: 

Microsoft Word has a menu were nearly every possible action is listed and you are able to define/assign shortcuts (one or more) for every action available.

grossal_1-1580197617401.png

(Sorry it's German. Path: File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Customize)

4 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for submitting your idea to the Alteryx idea boards!

If you haven’t yet be sure to check out our updated Submission Guidelines as well as the other product idea boards! All boards are actively monitors and we appreciate all the feedback we receive for each product.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Unambiguously agree - without reservation @grossal 

Several people discuss that every time you have to go to the mouse - you break the flow and the illusion of being part of the tool - and when you watch someone work that's spent years mastering their IDE it just becomes part of them.

Fully agree that every action should have a keyboard shortcut which is accessible - this would not only make the user experience better, it would speed up delivery, it would also (curiously enough) make testing Alteryx GUI much easier too.

What do you think @Hollingsworth ?

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This is the way.

I would submit a corollary to this idea, which is add intuitive paths when using the TAB key. Even if there wasn't an option to key bind every single tool, an intuitive flow for what happens when you press the TAB key would be very helpful.

I am like Alex in that I take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts because they really can 10x (or more) your interaction with the UI. But many programs don't have that level of support. So I will then memorize some UI path that uses TAB to navigate the controls (e.g. Alt-E, tab 3 times, press enter).

I consistently struggle with the "TAB paths" in Alteryx. This would be a welcome addition to the keybindings Alex mentioned.