Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Sharepoint List Input/Output - Windows Authentication

I would like to request the ability to connect to a SharePoint List to bring data from and write data to via Windows Authentication.  Currently, the only way to connect to a SharePoint List is via username/password which does not work for our current environment.  

18 Comments
NicolaQ
5 - Atom

As has been mentioned by several other users (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Sources/Sharepoint-List-Credendials/m-p/20949), it would be great if there was the possibility to have Windows Authentication built into the SharePoint List tools.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: New Idea

Thanks for the Idea, @NicolaQ! Will you please expand on your use case a bit- is it similar to the use case mentioned in the referenced link?

Best,

Alex

NicolaQ
5 - Atom

I would like to not have to hard code the SharePoint user credentials.  In the same way I connect to an SQL database through single sign on.

The use case is similar if not the same as the use case in the link.  I created the idea as I don't believe it was created.

Justlncredible
5 - Atom

Hi Alex,

My need is similar to NicolaQ.  Our current environment does not support SharePoint authentication via username/password, it requires Windows authentication.  I would like to know if you are planning on including the ability to connect to a SharePoint List using Windows authentication (not just username/password)?  It would go a long way for us and would definitely help Alteryx get more traction (additional licenses, usage) within our environment and our partner government agencies.  SharePoint is still heavily being used for many workflows (i.e. infopath forms) and retention of data (i.e. SharePoint Lists), and if Alteryx Designer could connect to SharePoint via Windows authentication then we could access that data with Alteryx and show people all that Alteryx can do :)

V/R,

Justin

PCAM
7 - Meteor

Yes please! Our company uses SharePoint as one of the avenues for report delivery and it would be really helpful to have this feature.

alexcook
5 - Atom

I second this. We use SharePoint but we won't be hardcoding network passwords into our Alteryx jobs. I was very surprised the SharePoint connector doesn't support Windows Authentication.

TommyB
6 - Meteoroid

Must have. Password authentication is not sufficient from a security perspective.

lmurray369
5 - Atom

Yes, this is critical in the environment I work in.  

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

However, your windows credentials should work with our SharePoint connector. When you enter the credentials, make sure you're putting in your domain in addition to your windows username. Ex:"xxx\username".

Best,

Alex

Ashish
8 - Asteroid

I think it should have checkbox to use windows authentication, (like it does for other database connections). We don't want to hardcode usernames and passwords in the workflow.

Even though the password is encrypted, its simple encryption which can be rolled back.