The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Sequence Container for Process Sequence

Hi,

I would like to have something similiar to in SSIS called as Sequence Container implemented in Alteryx. A sequence container would ensure that the process flows in a particular order. Lets say I would like to read 3 different files having different schema each and I want to read/validated it in particular order. I don't see any tool that would help me do this.

11 Comments
Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

Hey naveen! I came across this article. let me know if this helps. 

https://www.concentra.co.uk/blog/alteryx-control-flow-controlling-order-execution 

-RS 

danielkresina
9 - Comet

I agree that Alteryx really needs a better way for managing the sequence of the workflow.  Simply being able to optionally specify an order of priority for each container would work.

I just had to come up with a convoluted process to deal with this kind of scenario because I wrote data into a database table and then wanted to download from that same table AFTER the upload step.  In my case it was used to validate that all the data was successfully loaded (since I'm using a custom loading macro built for Exasol).

Being able to simply control the sequence would help immensely.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @BenG & @AdamR_AYX

This is one of a series of ideas in the Ideas section which relate to flow of control.

We could solve this relatively quickly (perhaps as a tactical fix) by including some of the CREW macros into the product - but at some point we do need to consider bringing this into the core product to allow Alteryx to compete for larger enterprise business (since loading a dimension and then a fact table is one of the most common tasks for a BI team, and this requires explicit flow of control).

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@SeanAdams,

I would like this feature to be implemented in a way that is easy to see and understand visually.  We do get requests to add the CREW macros to the product a lot, but I continue to hesitate because it adds more tools to an already long list and I've seen a few cases where the concept of a macro gets confused with the idea of sequencing.   This is one of the higher idea requests in the community and we have actually spent some time trying to implement a version of this with no success.  It will continue to be a fairly high priority as we are looking for ways to improve the workflow process.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks Ben - agree with you that it makes sense to work through how to do this in a way which is easy to understand; and which doesn't create more problems than it solves :-)

Anything we can do to help?

tonyppham
7 - Meteor

+1 on this feature.

I'm evaluating Alteryx for our organization right now and I am surprised that something so basic you'd find in SSIS or other products is not built-in for an Analytical tool such as Alteryx. Please add this feature!

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

jayross0117
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Community_Admin ,

Any updates on this feature?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: New Idea

This idea is being returned to the New Idea status, as it has reached the required number of likes to be brought to our product teams attention. Please note it may take time for our product team to provide a response. However, we will do our best to insure this idea is updated accordingly.

Thank you for posting and contributing to the product idea boards!