Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Select First Field Listed After Typing Open Bracket Until Mouse is Moved

When writing an expression in a Formula tool, I love that you can just type an open bracket and suggestions pop up that allow you to auto-fill the rest of the variable name. What I find frustrating, however, is that once you type the open bracket, the highlighted field automatically moves to the one where your mouse is pointing, regardless of if you have moved your mouse or not. I think it makes more sense to always highlight the first field in the list and only take mouse position into account once it has actually moved.

It is hard to describe in just a picture as opposed to a video but essentially I had my mouse below where I was typing in the screenshot below then when I typed the open bracket, the 3rd field listed automatically got selected even though I never moved my mouse.

Kenda_0-1589975960106.png

Cc: @Hollingsworth 

11 Comments
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I also find this very frustrating. Thank you for posting the idea, @Kenda.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

100% so many tiny UI changes could bring so much joy to the masses

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

YES @Kenda !!!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes please

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

YES PLEASE!

terry10
11 - Bolide

I've wondered why it behaves this way!

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

Yasss this happens to me a lot when I don’t want to move my mouse because everything is fast and easy when I’m just using the keyboard!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hello! Thank you all for your feedback! I've updated the labels on this idea to insure the correct product teams have visibility into this idea. For anyone interested in this idea or the boards in general be sure to look over our Submission Guidelines which go over the idea boards process in a bit better detail. 

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for your feedback! 

Our product team is currently reviewing the technical requirements and scope of impact needed to implement this idea along side several competing priorities. Once we have a better grasp on what would be required to implement this feature we'll be sure to update this status again to reflect the update.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thank you for all your feedback!

While this is an interesting idea, our product team is unable to place it on the roadmap at this time due. Should this change however, we'll be sure to update this idea back to the under review status.