The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add DateTime type with milliseconds

I work with data where milliseconds is my saviour when I count distinct the datetime to get number of events. Alteryx ignores the millisecond part (as lots of other BI tool providers - I don't know what is going on with this idea that milliseconds are not needed). Yes I can convert it to string but it's not the best practice to create duplicate fields just so that I have date part for date-related calculation (plotting, time difference) and on the other hand string value for quick and easy counting..

57 Comments
MarkSmith
6 - Meteoroid

I agree, need to recognize yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.SSS

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

To do some anti-money-laundering analysis for a big bank, we are going to have to match trade times.  I have had to add a column of double type, next to datetime, to hold the sub-second part of trade timestamps.  It is embarrassing to explain to the client that Alteryx does not do fractions of a second.

All languages like C# and C++ have well established datetime types that handle fractions of a second.  If you can't give us a better datetime type, can you at least give us a clock-ticks type so we can work with high precision time data?

I love Alteryx, but I would love it so much more with milliseconds and nanoseconds out of the box. 

jineshnp31
8 - Asteroid

Time is ticking for me at least! Multiple projects requiring high precision time data. Afraid to drop Alteryx for multiple projects and go back to Perl/C# just because of this issue. Could you please provide ETA? 

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

@jineshnp31 I have managed to work around the missing sub-second part by including a double value that rides along with the DateTime.  The double value holds the sub-second value, and can go to many decimal places.  I do hope that Alteryx can give us an ETA on a time for this change though, just today one of our clients commented on the problem.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

I'm in healthcare and was just asked for this HH:MM:SS.999

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

Our SCADA system reports all data from sensors, motors, etc. in milliseconds.  I hate losing accuracy.  

jineshnp31
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Hiblet , I am exporting all datetime fields with milliseconds required as a string from SQL and export it out in csv files with quotes around it, so far this approach works for me.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Hi @jineshnp31, It is a bit of a pain to have to deal with millisecs as a separate chunk of data, but it does provide a workaround.  Best of luck!

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I wanted to update everyone that we are looking into this.

I do not have a specific update at this time, but if the status on this changes I will be sure to share information here. 

Tonya Smith | Technical Product Manager, Engine | Alteryx, Inc.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Community. Your idea is currently being reviewed by the Alteryx Development Team for a possible future release. Please note that this review process can take some time, we’ll do our best to keep you up to date on the status of your idea.