Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add DateTime type with milliseconds

I work with data where milliseconds is my saviour when I count distinct the datetime to get number of events. Alteryx ignores the millisecond part (as lots of other BI tool providers - I don't know what is going on with this idea that milliseconds are not needed). Yes I can convert it to string but it's not the best practice to create duplicate fields just so that I have date part for date-related calculation (plotting, time difference) and on the other hand string value for quick and easy counting..

57 Comments
MarkSmith
6 - Meteoroid

I agree, need to recognize yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.SSS

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

To do some anti-money-laundering analysis for a big bank, we are going to have to match trade times.  I have had to add a column of double type, next to datetime, to hold the sub-second part of trade timestamps.  It is embarrassing to explain to the client that Alteryx does not do fractions of a second.

All languages like C# and C++ have well established datetime types that handle fractions of a second.  If you can't give us a better datetime type, can you at least give us a clock-ticks type so we can work with high precision time data?

I love Alteryx, but I would love it so much more with milliseconds and nanoseconds out of the box. 

jineshnp31
8 - Asteroid

Time is ticking for me at least! Multiple projects requiring high precision time data. Afraid to drop Alteryx for multiple projects and go back to Perl/C# just because of this issue. Could you please provide ETA? 

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

@jineshnp31 I have managed to work around the missing sub-second part by including a double value that rides along with the DateTime.  The double value holds the sub-second value, and can go to many decimal places.  I do hope that Alteryx can give us an ETA on a time for this change though, just today one of our clients commented on the problem.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

I'm in healthcare and was just asked for this HH:MM:SS.999

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

Our SCADA system reports all data from sensors, motors, etc. in milliseconds.  I hate losing accuracy.  

jineshnp31
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Hiblet , I am exporting all datetime fields with milliseconds required as a string from SQL and export it out in csv files with quotes around it, so far this approach works for me.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Hi @jineshnp31, It is a bit of a pain to have to deal with millisecs as a separate chunk of data, but it does provide a workaround.  Best of luck!

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I wanted to update everyone that we are looking into this.

I do not have a specific update at this time, but if the status on this changes I will be sure to share information here. 

Tonya Smith | Technical Product Manager, Engine | Alteryx, Inc.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Community. Your idea is currently being reviewed by the Alteryx Development Team for a possible future release. Please note that this review process can take some time, we’ll do our best to keep you up to date on the status of your idea.