Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Search-as-you-type feature in Select tool

It would be very useful to be able to search the field by typing the name instead of scrolling up and down looking for it among a few hundred fields.

Select Seach as you type.jpg

37 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the clarification. I'd like to hear from anyone else who may also find themselves wanting to search a large list of fields/columns. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be tremenously helpful - we often have 100+ column fields, so the ability to find a field using type-ahead type hints (like in the new formula tool) would be a big time saver

iamfainny
7 - Meteor

This would be a HUGE time saver if this was added! I am currently going through this painful process now and it's taking me FOREVER! 

fharper
12 - Quasar

I have the same sentiments, we often have 50+ fields and with the recent changes in gui to have a double scrolling window gets frustrating as things often get shifted on wrong slide control.  if we could type into a search window the field name or portion of field name and the list of fields in the tool scroll to the first matching occurrence it would be an awesome feel good feature and time saver.   

prash555
5 - Atom

One more comment for select search.

Data2KPI
6 - Meteoroid

As cool as the tool is, not having this basic search function is painful.  Hope this gets pushed to the top. 

Smiles326
5 - Atom

PLEASE PLEASE add this search function, I hve tables with 200+ fields that are often very closely named and have prefixes that prevent alpha order from being helpfulk.

rmc
7 - Meteor

Definitely, this would be incredibly helpful, I usually work with extremely long field lists and being able to search would really speed things up. Thanks.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for submitting this idea and comments! We'll consider this as an enhancement when we make some improvements to the Select tool next year. We'll look for ways to find the column you want to select more quickly. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

Thanks for submitting this idea and comments! We'll consider this as an enhancement when we make some improvements to the Select tool next year. We'll look for ways to find the column you want to select more quickly.