Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Search-as-you-type feature in Select tool

It would be very useful to be able to search the field by typing the name instead of scrolling up and down looking for it among a few hundred fields.

Select Seach as you type.jpg

37 Comments
BuQu
7 - Meteor

I often have a lot of fields coming in from databases and need to find the specific field. Sorting by name and then resorting back to incoming order helps but a small search bar in the Select tool to search for a field would help make things faster.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Under Review

We are changing the status of this idea back to "Under-Review".  This particular idea is still on the table, but we hope to have something better, so we want to make the Community aware that this exact idea may not be what we decide is the best possible solution. We are working to improve our tools as best we can and want to make sure that we give the users the best possible experience as well as continue to innovate.

Thanks for your patience. We will update the status of this idea once we've determined that path for this tool.

Dan

TimO
7 - Meteor

When is this going to get into the product?

brendafos
10 - Fireball
I have hundreds of columns in my data and I need to be able to search for fields. This is a MUSt HAVE.
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your idea! Our product team has reviewed this idea and cannot place it on the road map at this time. However they would still like to keep it in mind for future road map decisions. We'll update the status of this idea once we are able to term where or if we can place it on the road map.

Nicoleta
6 - Meteoroid

Same problem here!

Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

I fully support this. I currently have ~300 fields and it is difficult to track down the correct field, even using the sort fields.

Is this improvement on the books?

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Agreed this is great idea. It looks like it's a duplicate of this idea here which has 59 likes already, so I suggest we all get behind that one!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer/Search-as-you-type-feature-in-Select-tool/idi-p/69...

@KylieF - It's probably worth pooling these ideas together?

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I am currently working with large SAP exports with an average over 100 columns. Most of the time I only need 5-10 columns. The problem is: It takes a lot of time to select the right columns in the Select-Tool, therefore, I'd like to have a Column-Searchbar at the top.

I did a quick photoshop to show you how it could look:

Alteryx_Idea_Select_Tool-Search for field.png

travis2118
5 - Atom

It has been 5 years with a lot of support for this idea! Any updates as I also would find this functionality extremely useful.