Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Search-as-you-type feature in Select tool

It would be very useful to be able to search the field by typing the name instead of scrolling up and down looking for it among a few hundred fields.

Select Seach as you type.jpg

37 Comments
rahuls
9 - Comet

+1, would be really useful

adrianloong
11 - Bolide
I think this would be a great idea and would be really useful for all users.
KatieH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great idea, @khaiwong! We noticed a similar field hunting challenge in a different tool and are currently working to add search capabilities there. I suspect that a related design would work to improve the Select tool as well. How about a sneak-peek of how this may look? Implementing a search into the Select tool may look a bit different than below, but the idea is the same.

Prior to entering search criteria:

Embedded Select - PreSearch.png

After entering search criteria:

Embedded Select - Searched.png

We'll be sure to keep this in mind once we make our way to Select Tool improvements! Thank you for the input!

KatieH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Would be possible to include this on all the tools related to mutli-selects (Joins, Selects, Uniques, etc)? I hate having to do a manual search for names especially on a sidebar when there is a join prefix or "Right" or "Left".

TimO
7 - Meteor

It would also be helpful to sort the Field and Type columns.

brendafos
10 - Fireball

Is this in the new version?  I deal with hundreds of fields/columns and need to be able to not spend my time scrolling around.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

It can be bothersome trying to find a particular field in a long list of fields in the select tool.  It would be nice to have a search tool to go to the one I want.  Something like what the formula tool uses.

Select with Search.png

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

I'm looking at this as an option for a few different parts of the product that we're working on. Can you tell me a little more about how many fields you usually have? At what quantity of fields becomes annoying to manually search through? 

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I can have upwards of forty to fifty fields and sometimes more.  It becomes an annoyance when I have to start scrolling down because the fields go of the window.  I can make the window larger but it's limited by the screen and I can't reasonably make the screen larger unfortunately.  The real issue is when I'm unfamiliar with a documents field which often happens since we do a lot of adhoc work.  I don't know where in the list of fields the one I'm looking for may be and so it's scroll down and up to find the field. 

Thanks for looking into this.  I've heard a few people at Inspire say they like the look-up function on the formula tool but saw it didn't carry over to other tools.