Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

SUM() function under the Math bucket

I like the cool new features in designer 11.x

However, to my surprise when I searched for a sum() function..... it wasn't there yet

Math bucket has common functions such as Average, Mod, Median and some very complex functions such as Hyperbolic Tangent (an average user don't need it)

But a basic mathematical logic is missing : SUMMATION

Please add SUM() as a function

https://www.svgimages.com/svg-image/s4/summation-sign-256x256.png

15 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

agree with you on the need @r4upadhye .

@jdunkerley79 has done an incredible job of adding many of the missing functions to Alteryx  (link below).   This may not help you if you're on a locked-down corporate environment like we are, but there's some comfort in knowing that this is solvable and until this is added to the core product you can probably reverse into the capability using the work that James has done.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Formula-AddIn-to-make-working-with-Dates-...

(thank you again @jdunkerley79)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@r4upadhye & @SeanAdams,

Yes, @jdunkerley79 has created some great add-in functions but SUM isn't one of them.  Recently, SUM was moved from within the math functions to the TOP of the function dropdown list.  It is a basic function that is frequently used.  Alteryx moved it out of the Math group to make it easier to find (alas, not always).

Capture.PNG

Hopefully this will solve the challenge for you.

Cheers,

Mark

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Sum as a function is part of my add in set. 

Totals ignoring nulls. 

As @MarqueeCrew is present in summarise tool if you data is row based. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
I'm standing corrected again 🤓

Sent from my iPhone
r4upadhye
11 - Bolide

Thanks all for your inputs.

I realized that recently sum() was assigned to the summarize tool, but I wish it could be made available in the formula list too.

snellingjhn
5 - Atom

I agree. I would like to see the sum put back in the Formula tool under Math. Often times I just want to create a new column that is based on a calculation where I just summing an existing field.  I don't see how to make the new field just using the transform summarize tool. I would also like to see functions like Count and CountD in the formula tool as well.

sbahali
6 - Meteoroid

SUM(A+B) will work if A & B are two columns in a data table and have numeric value

martinoreb
6 - Meteoroid

martinoreb_0-1582570152854.png

I receive an error when trying to using "SUM" in the formula tool. Says SUM is an unknown variable..

RifferX
8 - Asteroid

I am blown away that the formula tool is missing SUM. You have got to be kidding me. The Summarize tool is just fine for aggregates, but if I want to simply create another column for say, monthly totals, and keep my line level detail I have to jump through way more hoops to join my datasets.

Absolutely mind blowing.

KimVDB
5 - Atom

I totally agree.

Could you elaborate on the different hoops needed to add a column with the SUM of another column?

Thank you!