Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

SFTP feature in Download Tool

Hi,
Just learnt today that Download Tool doesn't support uploading to a SFTP server. This feature is pretty critical and essential for many use in the Enterprise world. Is this something we can expect in next release?
-Hemanth

27 Comments
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the comments and requests on this feature. 

In order to provide the best functionality, we'd like to better understand the uses cases for uploading to SFTP. What types of files are you uploading? How often are you uploading? How big are the files that you're uploading? etc.

Any details that can be provided are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Alex

TylerN
7 - Meteor

@AlexP, for our organization it's CSV files that are being uploaded on a daily or monthly basis. Files sizes tend to be 5 megabytes or less. I'm sure other organizations are sending larger files though...

jacob_a_merchant
5 - Atom

Currently: XML inbound and CSV outbound, several times daily. Filesize ranges from 5k to 500k, averaging 150k.

We have other use cases we could build with this capability.

dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

Several types of behaviour are used in our company. Daily/Weekly/Monthly download, from x000 to x000000 records in a file. CSV, TXT, EXCEL, ZIP

jgreene
8 - Asteroid

Throwing in my two cents on this topic:

My company receives the same sorts of files but I'd add PGP into the list as well. I could also see this feature being added to a more robust scheduler where a job is defined which would consist of one or more of:

- Download some file inputs

- Decrypt/unzip files

- Run one or more Alteryx modules in sequence

- Encrypt/zip some outputs

- Directory cleanup

- Upload outputs

This would also allow for failure conditions in the file retrieval/post/preparation process to be more easily isolated from failures within the Alteryx modules. Were this functionality made available in the download tool I would probably still opt to use our current 3rd party scheduler to retain this sort of job process control. If it was rolled into the Alteryx scheduler I'd happily switch over to use that.

jeremy_dalletezze
7 - Meteor

We mainly upload csv and zip files, nothing larger than 500mb, and mostly under 10mb, hope this helps.

Glad to see that Alteryx is working on this :)

arnold_slabbekoorn
7 - Meteor

Daily, weekly, monthly frequency would be required for my company. File format, txt, CSV, excel, PDF, XML. File size, should not have a limitation.

dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

Any news on this feature?

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the feedback! We are currently planning to have SFTP support in the Download tool completed for 10.5. 

Best,

Alex

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon