Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Run module from within other module

I would the ability to run/call a module from within another module. I've thought of two solutions:

Simple - Add an option that currently exists in the Analytic App properties to "On Success - Run Another Analytic App". Instead this option would be to Run Another Module

Complex - Create a new tool that would have a single input that would accept a list of filepaths to Alteryx modules. The modules would be run sequentially (module 2 run once module 1 was finished).

Cheers,

John Hollingsworth
6 Comments
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar
You could use the "Run Command" tool and set it so that the external program is "AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" and the command arguments are the path and module name. Several tools in sequence should execute several modules in sequence.

There's a related knowledgebase post about this that uses Events. Here's the link:
http://community.alteryx.com/AlteryxArticle?id=kA0E00000000ZYgKAM

You could also use Alteryx to write a batchfile or PowerShell script that would run AlteryxEngineCmd.
LauraS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Great timing and great feedback, this is actually something we were discussing recently and  we are considering for a future release.   We will keep you posted as plans progress, the earliest the feature would be avilable would be early 2015.
jhollingsworth
7 - Meteor
Thanks for the hack Tom!

Thanks for the udpate Laura!
mark_frisch
7 - Meteor
We would also like the module to not only run a module, but be able to ScheduleRunNow.  The feature did work in prior versions, but in the current version you can't schedule another module to run now (though the help information says that it will).
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @KylieF,

while reviewing ideas, I stumbled across this one and I think the status should be changed to 'Implemented'. With version 2021.3 Alteryx made the CReW Runner tool an officially supported tool called 'Runner' which can be downloaded in the Alteryx Gallery.

Link: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Runner/ta-p/889234

Best

Alex

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented