Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Run Container is order

We need some way (unless one exists that I am unaware of - beyond disabling all but the Container I want to run) to fire off containers in particular order.  Run Container "Step1" then Run Container "Step2" and so on.

7 Comments
8 - Asteroid

Seems like this request falls on deaf ears.

11 - Bolide
I have heard, or seen, or read (don't recall) some roundabout left-handed way of doing it. Nothing that seemed straight forward to me. I've ended up using 'Conditional Runner' which we just call 'Running Man' (not an official tool - I don't think) of firing off entire workflows in order. So each container would be it's own workflow. You'd need the CReW Macros tab.
5 - Atom

Why is this not been addressed Alteryx!! such a simple thing to do... Especially in cases when you need to write to multiple tabs within the same excel file... 

8 - Asteroid

I have found that alteryx follows the Input ID order for almost all instances, but there are exceptions (stand along macros - no inputs/outputs - run first)

we have many processed that pull data from 4 sources, output to a file, then do something with that file as input--> server/tableau

what we found is that any time we add a new input, we have to cut and paste the secondary input as the process will run that before the initial output is ran because the new input has a higher ID...

this works as a kludge, but custom order via containers or something would be awesome

8 - Asteroid

@JSNelson08 

Thanks so much for your hack! Simple but effective solution. 

5 - Atom

This will be enormously helpful for us, seems bizarre that this isn't something as standard

16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This would be great!