Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Right-click -> Connect Tools

I have two use cases here:

1) A single tool that I want to connect to several tools (e.g. an input connecting to a number of selects)

2) Several tools that I want to connect to a single tool (e.g. several inputs connecting to a single union tool)

The current interface requires that I establish these connections by connecting the tools individually. It would be great to have the ability to have a right-click option. Simplistically, it might work something like this...

1) Select the tools that you want connected to a single tool (e.g. all the selects); Right-click; Get connection from Tool...{drop down list}

2) Select the tools that you want to get their connection from a single tool (e.g. all the inputs); Right-click; Connect to Tool...{drop down list}

9 Comments
LauraS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Sounds like a great idea, we wouls like more feedback from the community on this one prior to planning it for a future release.
andrew_komaromy
6 - Meteoroid
This would be very important for connecting a map with many inputs, or join multiples that have many incoming connections. When trying to replicate a process reconnecting 20+ connections can be very tedious, especially if they are named connections.
jgreene
8 - Asteroid
This would also be great for connecting tools that are a long distance away in the layout to avoid having to drag the connection while you're searching for the tool to connect to.
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar
I like this idea a lot. A small but effective timesaving improvement. 

Could also work very neatly with a keyboard shortcut (like ctrl+shift+b - to add browses to selected tools.
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

This would be very useful, especially when parsing, which seems to expand and contract workflows considerably.

josh_chisholm
5 - Atom

Great idea Tom! I would love to see this in Alteryx!

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks so much for sharing this idea on the Community Ideas forum. In 11.7, you'll see the option to "View possible connections" in a selected tool's right click menu. This will allow you to connect both single and multiple tools to other tools. Learn more about this feature and other 11.7 features on our Downdloads page

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Yay! I can't wait to try it!

Bruce_V
7 - Meteor

Awesome implementation! Was already getting frustrated dragging all the way over my canvas.