The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Right-Click to Replace a Tool

I commonly find myself in this situation and its hard to imagine that I'm the only one:

Let's say that I have a Text Input tool which feeds to various other tools across the canvas.  Some are near, some are far; but the point is that there are more than one of them.

Even though I've been using this workflow a while, one of the data sources downstream changed and now I need to change the field type or do some other sort of cleansing on the text I'm feeding in.  
What do you normally do when you need to add a tool inline, but the connections run to several points on the page?

Normally I'd start adding Select tools to each of the connections.

But wouldn't it be efficient if I could just right click on the tool and select an option like "Add a tool inline"? 

It would work sort of like when you right click on the canvas to add a tool; but it would put the new tool in the place where the current one is and just move the tool you clicked on behind the newly added tool.  No more adding multiple Select tools and re-connecting each stream.

7 Comments
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@patrick_mcauliffe,

I'll star your post, but did you know that you can right-click any tool and there is an option "Insert After" that allows you to do just what you are asking (doesn't insert before)?

Cheers,

Mark

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@patrick_mcauliffe,

If you right click a tool on your canvas, don't you see "Insert After"?  You can insert "after" (not before) the tool.  If you want before, there is a trick.  Choose the tool before your tool.  I'm probably just not getting your ask.

Cheers,

Mark

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@MarqueeCrew  You nailed it - and so did @patrick_digan.  I was just using a box that hadn't been updated.
And now to delete this :)

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@KylieF Another one for you to

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

@Joe_Lipski 

You're completely correct thank you so much for the ping! This feature is present in the latest version of Alteryx so I'm updating this idea to implemented!