Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Revise the Google Sheets Drop Sheet tool

The behavior of an "Overwrite Sheet (Drop)" configuration is such that it breaks formulas (#REF) that point to the overwritten sheet and named ranges that reference the overwritten sheet.  This is a bummer because the only way I've found to overcome the issue is to write a script that re-applies the named range.  This works, but it greatly raises the barrier to using this tool and in some corporate environments it won't even be possible.

What would probably be a good alternative behavior is to delete the contents of the sheet, rather than the rows/columns/cells of the sheet.  I think both probably have valid use cases but my proposed functionality is going to cause fewer issues and be the more popular behavior for most users.  I believe there is a google sheets API call for just this kind of behavior...

8 Comments
DanielH
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have been having the same issue for awhile now. I want the data on the sheet to be replaced but without deleting the sheet. One way I did solve this issue is using an indirect formula. Create a new sheet (Datasheet or name it whatever you want) and only place the following code in row 1:

=INDIRECT("'Output Alteryx'!A:A")

Use the double quotes only when there is no space in the sheet name. If there is a space (as in the example) use single quotes for the name.

Do this for every column (B:B - C:C) etc. and that way you can reference your new sheet which will be an exact copy of your output. Its a small workaround but currently works great for me.

joeschafer
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks DanielH.  Indirect works!  Kinda Janky but least-janky solution I've found so far.  I still think that formatting should be retained as part of the default functionality of the tool. 

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback- please continue to upvote if you're interested in this functionality!

Best,

Alex

Sbinkley
7 - Meteor

@DanielH - thank you for this solution!  It's the least complex of anything I can try right now to get my stakeholder what they need.  Appreciate it!

JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@DanielH +1

Billfurst
5 - Atom

Hi, is there any update on this review?  Perhaps an early christmas present so I don't have to build 20 formula sheets to sit on top of 20 data sheets?  It's been under review for almost 2 years.

mbraswell
5 - Atom

We need a truncate, added as an option.  The delete is really adding layers to an otherwise simplified process.  Any word on this issue?

robertyu
5 - Atom

Great solution, @DanielH!

I had to resort to appending data but this workaround is super helpful!