Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Replace Reference Functionality

So many times, a given source field name could change. If you have a complex workflow it can be time consuming to update various join, select and other tools to replace the old field name with the new field name. For example in sales you may have fields that include the year  "Sales_2020".

It would be nice to "mimic" the functionality that Tableau provides where you can somehow click/select a field (e.g. Sales_2020) and then select "Replace Reference" and select the new field you want to use instead (e.g Sales_2021). This functionality would then automatically carry through the entire workflow and wherever you used Sales_2020 you will now automatically use Sales_2021.

Thoughts on this?

4 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your idea and feedback!

We appreciate all the feedback we get on how our product team can improve a user's day to day experience. It looks like you're relatively new to the idea boards (welcome!) so if you haven't yet be sure to check out our Submission Guidelines as they go over the process after an idea is submitted as well as we need from user engagement on an idea.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be a nice add!

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

Thank you for posting this suggestion. I logged onto this section to post the exact same request as you. I've recently developed a complex workflow where renaming a field has caused quite some hassle. While in some cases I did encounter an error from Alteryx notifyi8ng me that the old field does not exist; in other cases I've had to retrace my steps to make sure I made the replacement in all tools that the field name shows up.

Ex: non-existent field gets selected in Join tool and Select tool while the new field remains deselected (no error from Alteryx here), variables within the formula tool and filter tool need to be manually changed in each expression (this gives an error).

It would be great to have auto-replacement of field name across the entire workflow.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes