Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Replace/Change Macro instead of Insert only

In Powerpoint, you can right-click on a picture and replace it with a different picture without losing formatting.

Similar functionality would be useful for replacing custom macros.

• I would like to be able to switch an old version of a custom macro with a new version in situ, without losing the connections to other tools, interface tools, or location in a container. 

Currently, the only option is to insert the new custom macro and then reset all incoming and outgoing connections. Some downstream tools (e.g., crosstab) lose their existing settings and that has to be reset too. On complicated workflows, this can introduce silent errors.

This capability would be especially helpful for team coding, where different team members are revising different modules for a parent workflow.

Currently:

Right-clicking on the canvas shows Insert > Macro > (choose from list of open macros)

Right-clicking on an existing macro shows Open Macro

New functionality:

Right-clicking on an existing macro shows Replace/Change Macro > (choose from list of open macros)

10 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@terry10 I wonder if the functionality currently built in (but hidden!) would work for you. You can use the same "Root Tool Name" for 2+ macros with different version numbers in the meta data of the macro:

patrick_digan_0-1662755970637.png

Then when you click on your old macro in a workflow, you would have an option to change to the new version (or vice-versa):

patrick_digan_1-1662756027737.png

I didn't find this feature out until recently, but it was super helpful. It allowed me to have the old and new versions of the macro both function, I could manually change workflows to the new version with one click (and go back if need be), and only the new version was available in the tool pallete (ie the old version was hidden from the pallete because alteryx was smart enough to realize it's been replaced by the new version).

terry10
11 - Bolide

@patrick_digan Thanks! I will try to figure out how to do that.

terry10
11 - Bolide

@patrick_digan  It worked. You saved me a ton of work! THANK YOU!!

terry10
11 - Bolide

@patrick_digan

I am seeing that when swapping versions on batch macros using this trick, the connectors get messed up (all connectors end up connected to the control parameter). Have you seen that too?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@terry10 Yikes, that's not good. I've only used it for standard macros before. Thanks for the heads up!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality should already (at least partially) exist. If you go to Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies, you can Edit a macro to point to a new location and it should keep your connections when replaced with the new macro. So while it isn't a one-click option like requested, it should accomplish the trick? (Highly recommend using Workflow Dependencies for other reasons as well - great for updating filepaths on inputs, outputs, macros, data connections... also helpful for quickly converting to UNC filepaths, viewing macros, quickly documenting which connections are used in workflows, etc.!)

Hope that helps - and thank you for the idea!!

terry10
11 - Bolide

Nice to know that it can be done with existing functionality. It seems clunky though; not a good UX. My workflows may have dozens of macros and each has several versions. Using the workflow dependency dialog box to get to a file browser and navigating to the macro version would take my head out of the designing process.

I’ve been successful using the “Root Tool Name” method @patrick_digan shared, except for batch macros, for which input connectors all end up connected to the control parameter anchor (see attached image). If this behavior (bug??) were fixed, it would be smooth and seamless to update macro versions.Screenshot 2022-10-05 125639.jpg

@NicoleJ 

I don't feel this idea should have a status of "implemented". Having a long way around to achieve macro versioning doesn't mean the original idea is implemented or meritless.

@AnnaELawrence 

terry10
11 - Bolide

@NicoleJ   My idea seems to have been lost because you set the status to Implemented when it really hasn't been implemented, as I noted above. Could we open it up for others to vote on?

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Under Review