community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

Replace All

Maybe it was a lack of planning, but I've had a need to rename a variable within a workflow and would like to (outside of the XML view) be able to rename the variable so that downstream tools don't have to be reconfigured (e.g. formula, join, union).  

7 Comments
Alteryx Certified Partner

Yes a Replace References menu option could achieve this. Find all fields referencing field [FieldA] and replace with [FieldB]

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

The problem you describe here is common and everyone runs into it as you never get the field names right the first time through.  We are working on a design to give all fields unique id's so if one is changed upstream, downstream tools can be updated with the new field name.  In addition, we think having an id for each field will allow us to provide more information on transformations for a particular field throughout the workflow.

Thanks for the request!

Meteor

After just spending 15 mins replacing a field used in several calculations, I am looking forward to this feature!

Alteryx Partner

I think this would be great but also I'd like to ask that Aleryx make it a feature that is optional. There are certain situations where you would not want to cascade replacing of this nature to all fields.

Nebula
Nebula

This will save herds of time- and if the functionality will work like @BenG alluded to (where the variable name is really just a handle on an underlying variable ID; so that all references to this variable can update in a cascade automatically) - that would be a HUGE time-saver in a task that is currently non-value added waste right now.

I do agree with @wale_ilori though - 95% of the time when I rename a field I want this to cascade - but 5% I actually want it to break downstream so that I can change something - so a simple question box "Do you want to cascade this downstream" would be brillant.

Alteryx Partner

Has anything been made available? I would like to change a field monthly and have the change cascade through the workflow.

Can we have an update on this please?

This is an awesome feature and would save so much time if it was implemented