Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Render Tool - Output Multiple Tabs to One Excel

I would like to see the same functionalitly that the Output Tool has in the Render tool.  In the Output Tool, you can specify the Excel Worksheet along with the Sheet Name that you want to output too.  Meaning Same Worksheet, different tab:

C:Output FilesExample_Worksheet.xlsx|Report_1
     C:Output FilesExample_Worksheet.xlsx|Report_2

This functionality is not currently available in the Render Tool and would be very useful and cut out some manual operations on the back end that requires us to copy/paste from one file to another.

I tried using the Section Break technique that was offered as a suggestion, but it did not perform what I needed.

24 Comments
TammyFoley
7 - Meteor
The program does not allow you to RENDER multiple tables to one file. You have to RENDER each table to its own Excel file, then create a macro in Excel that moves each separate file into 1 Excel file, rename the tabs, adjust columns widths, and add Freeze Pane lines.

I was advised that these features above are something they will consider in 2018 as part of the improvement plan they are working on for the Reporting tools.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

E-mail messages may contain viruses, worms, or other malicious code. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective action against such code. Henry Schein is not liable for any loss or damage arising from this message.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
kpmike
6 - Meteoroid

I would like to be able to render to multiple excel sheets in the same file that have different sizes.  That still cannot be done in Alteryx render.

Brian6
8 - Asteroid

I would be interested in this update as well.  It seems strange that if you use the rendering tool to make the output look more professional that you can't name the tabs in excel.  Hopefully this will be addressed soon.

Joni_Kirk
5 - Atom

If you want to output named tabs for several table/ datasets into one excel then the pathway below is below.

alt test.png

First unionise the table you have created and then create a record ID. Then use the formula tool to amend the records in a new column “Record ID 2” (IF [RecordID] = 1 THEN "Hello" ELSEIF [RecordID] = 2 THEN "Hi" ELSE "" ENDIF).

Then select the layout options below.

alt test 2.png

And then render setting paper size to custom and increasing the dimension like below.alt test 3.png

I hope this helps you guys

TammyFoley
7 - Meteor
I don't think this will work, as each table has a completely different set of columns/data/format, but thanks for the suggestion.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

E-mail messages may contain viruses, worms, or other malicious code. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective action against such code. Henry Schein is not liable for any loss or damage arising from this message.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
KasiaP
7 - Meteor

Hi all, I am using reporting tools (table, layout, render) to create an excel report with multiple worksheets.

My problem is that I have to set up one page size for all worksheets when using render tool.

One of my worksheets has 2 columns of data and the other one has 50 columns.

When I set the size to fit all 50 columns it is much too wide for the sheet with 2 coulmns, as table width adjusts to page width.

Does anyone found workaround for it?

Unfortunately solution posted below doesn't work:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Render-Multiple-Excel-Sheets-Different...

How to set multiple page sizes in one excel report?

Or how to prevent Alteryx from stretching the tables into the whole page?

Or is there a possibility to create formatted excel report using other than render tool?

Thanks!

reganreese
6 - Meteoroid

This is still a miss on the alteryx side. It'd be great to be able to render an exel file with multiple tabs with different layouts. 

KasiaP
7 - Meteor

Hi @reganreese,

I agree that this is definitely a miss on Alteryx side, but there is a workaround for that.

Please go through below topic, @DavidP posted a solution there:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Using-Render-and-output-file-tool-to-s...

Thanks,

KasiaP

reganreese
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @KasiaP. That's helpful.