The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Redshift - Distribution key and sort key

Currently we resort to using a manual create table script in redshift in order to define a distribution key and a sort key in redshift.

See below:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/tutorial-tuning-tables-distribution.html

It would be great to have functionality similar to the bulk loader for redshift whereby one can define distribution keys and sort keys as these actually improve the performance greatly with larger datasets

9 Comments
JCR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

We're currently working on this improvement and plan to make it available in the next release of Alteryx.

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Thank you for taking the time to include in your new release JC, it's much appreciated from AWS Redshift customers and I think will be a real game changer for Alteryx. GO team Alteryx!

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

stephen81
6 - Meteoroid

Will this be in 11.0 then?

Thanks in advance.

SME_Steve
7 - Meteor

Is this an option that's going to be available with the IN-DB components?

We have many workflows where we stage our IN-DB data to temporary tables in Redshift mid flow and it would be great if we could specify DistStyle/Key and SortKey with temporary tables or new tables.

Thanks

sehling
6 - Meteoroid

Any update to this with 11.0 being released?  I can't seem to find where to define a table layout in Redshift.

stephen81
6 - Meteoroid

Can anyone from Alteryx let us know what the status of this is please?

sehling
6 - Meteoroid

I strongly second Stephen's inquiry, as I sit here copying files into S3 and running the manifest files manually through Redshift code to get them into my manually created tables, which have Sort and Dist Keys.  (Yes, I know the S3/Redshift bulk load is able to be done in Alteryx, but it's completely useless if I can't create the table properly).

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi All, 

Sorry for the very delayed response- haven't been checking this thread and didn't see it until Steve reached out privately (thanks, Steve!). The dist key and sort key option actually came out in 10.5 and can be found in the Redshift Bulk Output Config via the Output tool. It's not currently available In-DB, but please add another idea to the Ideas forum if you would like to see that added. Let me know if you have any questions and just make sure to tag me directly in the post.

RedshiftSort.jpg

Best,

Alex