Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Quickly add a tool at mouse position via search popup

To help in adding tools quickly it would be useful to have some form of quick keys or maybe somewhat a combination (enhancement) of search bar / right-click. 

So here's the pic and a 1,000 words

brandowd_6-1655825777034.png

And here's the blurb

The idea being that hitting a key whilst mouse is over the canvas would display the search bar at the mouse cursor position. Once you've selected the tool you want it hitting return[+shift] adds it to the canvas either:

• In a dragged (mouse down) state to help for final position and automated connections and then a final left-click to add to canvas or,
  • Just add it at that position.

This would also speed up adding tools as you could include things like 'Recent' or 'Favorites'. I grant you that you could just incorporate this into the search dialog but save you a bit of eye movement. Don't get me wrong the search bar is great but it's the lots of drag-drop that can slow things down a bit. 

4 Comments
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

@brandowd, I love this idea. Can I upvote more than once? 😁

I try to use the 'right-click>insert tool>find tool>click' option, but I always find it so difficult to find the correct tool. (Are they in the wrong order on purpose?)  

Would definitely use your 'search' function. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be amazing!!! 

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

If that happens, I'll start building the majority of my workflows with that instead of the traditional tool palette and search bar!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes