Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Python tool

Very nice to be able to extend Alteryx with R programs or CMD execution.  Please, please, please add a connection to Python!
21 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Here is a link to very nice infographic regarding R and Python comparison, guess all would like it...

http://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/data-science-wars-r-versus-python

Philip
12 - Quasar

I'd like a tool that let's me embed Python code like the R tool does R code. This would enable using Python packages out there for such things as machine learning, and other things.

This would also make integrating Python code a lot easier to do than the current Run Command tool.

For people who's language of choice is Python, this would be great.

mtpesavento
5 - Atom

Very helpful session yesterday -- we would love to see better R integration into Alteryx, and innate Python integration! In the meantime, this command line tool looks great. More to come, I'm sure

Thanks!

For future sessions, please consider spending a greater portion of the time on advanced capabilities like this!!! One of the great pains of Alteryx (and any set of tools) is having to switch between tools to accomplish one task. This certainly looks like it will help

krishnaoptif
5 - Atom

Can we know that when Python will include in this alteryx ?

mtpesavento
5 - Atom

My understanding is that Alteryx 11 has native python integration like R - though could be wrong

petermc129
7 - Meteor

This is one hell of a long and dark road map.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I know it's not what this thread is looking for, but there is some hope ahead, in that anyone on an MS SQL environment will soon be able to run native Python analysis at the data level without having to move data out of the database.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2017/04/19/python-in-sql-server-2017-enhance...

This is HUGE for us as an analytics community because it brings together the power of python for analysis with the incredible horsepower of the world's fastest database server (by TPCH) and eliminates the round-trip on the data which is often one of the most costly parts of this kind of work on large data sets.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Great news for Microsoft SQL Server...

I guess adding native Python capability Alteryx will catapult the tool, positioning it way at leaders in

• both Gartner's BI and
  • Gartner's Advanced Analytics Quadrants as well...
chrisha
11 - Bolide

Is there any update on this? Would love to have an easier way to use Python scripts in my workflows. In fact, not only for data processing but also for related tasks. Requesting, parsing and validating data from external sources (e.g. REST API) or validating data would be much easier in Python. (At least for me with some background in programming...)

jordancarson18
5 - Atom

You can build your own python tool using the command line and the command parameter. Try giving it a shot. And yes, you will need to use the py2exe library to convert your python code into executables so you can run them through the command line in Alteryx. I challenge everyone on the power behind Alteryx's engine. 

Additionally, you can even create config files in json and create a configuration reader macro if your workflow requires it. Endless....