Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Prefixes in Summarize tool

With the 2019.3 release the summarize tool now includes prefixes for grouped fields. While a nice addition, in application it makes using this data downstream (like joining to other tables) more involved because of needing to remove this prefix. 

It would be nice to have this as an option (a checkbox to add/remove prefixes maybe) or just revert back to pre-2019.3 behavior...thanks!

14 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agreed - given that you're grouping by this field, the natural behavior would be to keep the field as-is (as happens in SQL).

This does seem to be a feature that adds time to the process rather than streamlining it (refer to : https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Drive-Alteryx-designer-improvements-by-measu...)

It seems to make more sense to revert to the previous behavior of this tool or make it optional.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would also like to see this go back to the way to pre-2019.3 behavior. I never once renamed my pre-2019.3 column and added a prefix of "group by". Conversely, I have already several times taken the time to delete the "group by" in 2019.3 as I don't like that the column has been renamed. The default should by the pre-2019.3 behavior.

seven
12 - Quasar

I agree that this behaviour is annoying. Please be aware that you can remove the prefix of multiple of fields using the Select tool. Highlight all of the fields with the Group By prefix, click the Options menu, and go to the Remove Prefix option. It will save you some time.

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Totally agree with Neil! Please add a check box or remove this funciton. 

Also thanks Kksieski for the idea of the remove process. The other is the dynamic rename.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you for reporting this. This is a defect.

@JeremyL @Alice 

JeremyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @jpoz - Defect captured and in our backlog.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

The fix for this will be included in the upcoming 2019.3 stable release. Thank you for posting about it.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

The 2019.3.5 Stable Update is now available for download and includes this fix. Thank you for reporting it.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Awesome, thanks for quickly fixing! 

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@davidhenington It is fixed in the latest stable release.