Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Partially run the workflow

We have to run the full workflow at a time, if you can please think of something like partial running of the workflow and also while designing the flow if we add new tools, we have to run the entire flow again. 
Why can't it hold the intermediate data to avoid re-running the entire code.

7 Comments
dynamicsnail
7 - Meteor

I agree, as this also frustrated me when I first started with Alteryx. However, I've found a couple items since which have been very helpful:

1) You can use containers to control which parts of the workflow run.

2a) While 'caching' data at the inputs can speed up reprocessing, there is also a good macro available here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Cache-Dataset-V2-Macro/ba-p/18608

2b) And you can support the official tool addition here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Cache-tool/idi-p/1369

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thanks for the idea @rprashar! We're releasing a version of caching in the upcoming 2018.3 release, which allows you to right-click on a tool in the workflow and create a cache temp file. Next time the workflow is run, it would start at that cache.

Stay tuned! Let us know what you think once you get a chance to play with this new feature.

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Caching's live in 2018.3!

Please play with it and let us know what you think. If you could think of improvements we could make I'd love to hear about them.

dynamicsnail
7 - Meteor

Liking the new feature so far. However, it appears that if you want to create multiple cache points in a single workflow you have to "cache & run" them one at a time? Would be nice if we could ctrl+click to select multiple cache points simultaneously.

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @dynamicsnail - this is a great idea and we'll definitely consider it as an enhancement to the feature.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@dynamicsnail Just to update this, selecting multiple tools and caching them was implemented several releases ago.

dynamicsnail
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the heads-up @jpoz; we just upgraded to 2019.2 and this has been very helpful!