The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Output tool: Pre Create SQL statement in App

I would like to use the precreate statement as part of a app. That means if a user selects ID '12345' from an interface tool, I would like to delete recs in SQL server with that same ID through the pre create statement, then afterwards I would append new records with the same ID.
What I really miss is having the ability to send one Name & Value to an interface tool like label or readonly textbox.Then I could use Label/Textbox->Action->Output and change the precreate statement that way. 
I tried the formula way but SQL think I am running a stored procedure.
It looks like I need to use a listbox or dropdown tool and do it that way but that means I am cluttering my app with unnecessary tools. 
Could you give interface tools a 'hide' property or allow a field to be passed to the pre-Create SQL statement?
Unless there's another way to do all this? 

2 Comments
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Simon,

Can't you just set up your pre-SQL statement in your module with a dummy id (say 123456) then use an action on the input tool and update the PreSQL statement using "replace a specific string" to swap in your new id to delete?

Maybe I am missing part of your requirements though so let me know.

Cheers
Adam
sphwillis
7 - Meteor
Hi Mr Chaos,

I hope I get what you are saying: are you referring to preSQL in input tool? Then yes I agree with you. However my dilemma is -  I would like to put an action on the preSQL in the output tool to delete recs before I append them. I believe this is currently not possible using an action tool. I ended up running a delete statement through dynamic input & detours which is upstream from output tool but that seems a little dirty. Also, Designer seems to be more forgiving than Server but I got it to work as an App. Either way, having the option to put an action on the preSQL statement in the output tool would make more sense.