Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Output as XML

I have had a number of requests for Alteryx to provide XML as an output format. It would be great to have configuration settings to allow for just text based output:
<Row ID="18606" Order_Priority="Not Specified" Discount="0.01" Unit_Price="2.88" Shipping_Cost="0.5"/>

As well as well formatted output, like this:
<Property>
    <name>measured_depth</name>
    <dataType>FLOAT32</dataType>
    <numberOfDimensions>1</numberOfDimensions>
    <units>m</units>

<data>1456.3453</data>
</Property>
12 Comments
PoornimaF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Scott,

Thanks for submitting this request. We are constantly adding new formats to the Input and Output tools, and are also taking steps to improve the XML Parser tool. We will add this request to our backlog. 

Thanks,
Poornima
Cristian
9 - Comet

This is a very good request, we shall be able to blend an xml schema (.xsd file) with a tabular output stream and get the final xml report.

Regards,

Cristian.

rahuls
9 - Comet

Hi @ScottL,

We made an "XML Output" macro to convert the tabular data into XML format.

Following is the link to download the macro:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/XML-Output/565bfd4caa690a12542665e3

Let me know if it helps you.

Thanks

jonathandrummey
7 - Meteor

+1 for this (in the middle of working through issues of wanting to export XML and having to write out a CSV and renaming it).

paulb1
8 - Asteroid

<SOLVED>

Formula 16 was set to 64, bumped up the value to 100

Woot!

---

I have a need for this macro and it looks like it's going to work splendidly, one config issue I'm hoping to work through is the length of the lines.  Looks like it's set to a 64 character length.  Is there some place I can change the length to be longer?

Example:  Gender_Description looks great but Sexual_Orientation_Description truncates after 64 characters.

<Gender_Description>Male</Gender_Description>
<Sexual_Orientation_Description>Heterosexual</Sexual_Orientation

Both fields are V_WStrings.  These field names are set by the requesting party and cannot be modified.  

Thanks for any guidance!

ZoeyL1GL
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rahuls,

Thanks for sharing the macro. I am having a challenge to create a nested XML from a .xls with multiple tabs and each tab contains various column headers and different rows of data.

Would your macro apply/solve on this challenge please?

Many thanks,

Zoey 

smountne
6 - Meteoroid

there are several steps in the formula where one needs to update the field length for value and/or tag.  works well.

however I too need to be able to apply a nested xml output to send to Workday.  I can do the first two lines, the last /root and the individual fields, but I need to delineate each employee record with an employee tag.

example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
        <employee>
             <WWID>10000</WWID>
             <Action>TRAN</Action>
             <Reason>Change_Job_Lateral_Move_Within_Country_No_Pay_Change</Reason>
             <Effective_Date>2017-01-09</Effective_Date>
             <Legal_Entity>Legal_Entity_6149</Legal_Entity>
       </employee>
</root>

smountne
6 - Meteoroid

Update on my post.  I was able to figure it out and it does not look pretty.  It would be very helpful if Alteryx could incorporate more XML functionality in their toolsets.

suemc
6 - Meteoroid

XML output using a XSD would be really beneficial 

KN82000
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed. XML output using a XSD is lacking in the market.