Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Output Browse Tool

When developing a module, I generally BROWSE the final data until I'm ultimately ready to generate output.  Then I need to add or replace a browse tool with an output tool.  Perhaps a general purpose output tool could save time for developers where the output tool functions as a browse tool until the output is actually checked on the tool configuration.

Taking this a step further, if an output is defined and the module is executed one could have a row limit on the read of data into the browse function of an output tool and see the first N records within a browse/output tool.

Sneak Peek.

m

4 Comments
chris_cleckner
7 - Meteor
Mark,

The browse tool also has output functionality that could save you some time until the "browse everywhere" functionality comes with the next release.  There is a little disk in the upper right corner that you can click and map the file to your hard drive.
r4upadhye
11 - Bolide

Slightly off the track, but definitely related to this topic.

I'd like like to propose decommissioning the Browse Tool itself. Here's how it would work.

So far Browse Tool is helpful for mid-stream data sanity check...

But a complex workflow will need so many Browse Tools, thereby wasting a lot of canvas space and unnecessarily complicating / slowing the workflow further.

Capture.PNG

Expected Browse:

Clicking on any tool should automatically populate its results in the Results window without the need of Browse Tool.

1) Tools with a single output: Clicking on the tool or its output plug should reveal its data (ex: Summarize Tool)

2) Tools with more than one output: Clicking on each of the output plug should reveal its data (ex: Join)

Capture.PNG

BONUS: Clicking on the input plug of a tool should reveal its input data

Capture.PNG

r4upadhye
11 - Bolide
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

I'm updating this idea to implemented as the ability to export data from a Browse tool and the ability to convert a Browse Tool to a Output Data Tool has been implemented in a previous release.