Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Option to disable an individual Output tool

Would love to see an option to disable a specific Output tool (rather than the global "Disable All Tools that Write Output" option). I'm envisioning the inverse of the Email tool, where there is a checkbox to enable Email... rather, the Output tool could have a check box that would disable that output (and ONLY that output), similar/consistent with the "Disable All Tools" function. A "Disable This Output" check box. The benefits would be a quick way to make sure not to overwrite something in one output (but still getting all the good content in all the other outputs) rather than having to go through the multiple clicks of adding to a container and then disabling the container. Could have benefits for connecting with Action tools/interface toggles as well. It would likely need to contain the same/similar formatting in Designer to indicate it has been disabled, though maybe a slightly different color so you could tell it was disabled differently? 

(On a similar vein, would love to take this opportunity to bring up my favorite idea-that-has-not-been-implemented-yet-that-would-love-your-vote-and-attention, implementing a Warning that outputs are disabled when posting to Gallery...)

Cheers!

NJ

9 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for posting @NicoleJohnson, I can definitely see the value in this... I mean, so can others - 11 likes in a week, nice!

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+1 on this one. I hate having to insert containers to do that all the time. Plus, if a workflow is big enough, it takes some time to activate/deactivate a container.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+ me

This would be super useful! Thanks for suggesting Nicole!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Stay tuned! New feature coming soon!

NJ

(And yes, getting to mark my own idea-from-the-past as "coming soon" is absolutely as fun as it seems...) 😁

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Now it looks like the option is coming to disable specific outputs, it would be great if there is an override option in the global configuration to ignore the tool based disable output. I can see this being helpful when in a debugging situation where you might prevent outputs being written while testing but need to for one run allow all outputs to be written, saving you from needing to find all the tools which have their outputs disabled.

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

A checkbox to disable a single Output Tool has been added as of version 2022.3! (Checkbox in bottom left corner of configuration screen). Happy Alteryx-ing!

* Let me just add that getting to mark one of my own Ideas as implemented is a joy I didn't realize I needed in my life... 😁

NicoleJ_1-1670346542596.png

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks fo@NicoleJ For the additional feature request to have a global option to ignore for a specific run to ignore disabled outputs should I create a new idea?

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

@cgoodman3 Yes please! It’s a challenge to track partial implementations so if you could please submit a new idea, that would help a ton. Thanks!