Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Option: Go to previous/next tool list

Hi all,

When debugging an error, we need to verify tool by tool in a sequence to better understand what is really going on.

Sometimes the tools are miles away from each other. Imagine a gigantic workflow with a lot of connections going back and forth and wireless connections everywhere to help the workflow organization. Here is an example with more than 1300 tools: 

fmvizcaino_0-1615923127842.png

My idea is to have a shortcut showing all the previous/next tools and by selecting the previous/next one you go directly to them.

Something like this: 

fmvizcaino_2-1615924201119.png

What do you guys think about that?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

10 Comments
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Love it!

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @fmvizcaino we appreciate the feedback! We’re doing our best to ensure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. Love that you added them to the right-click menu to demonstrate!

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Yes, AND when you do this Alteryx, please give it a keyboard shortcut.

In fact, give every option in the Right-click menu a keyboard shortcut. #VivaLaShortcut

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) Part of me struggles to look at a 1300 tool canvas @fmvizcaino - so my instinct is to wrap this in macros and refactor it.

That being said though - you'd still have the issue of being to navigate through various different places in the canvas.

So - yes, this would be helpful - as would something like an ability to split the screen and look at two different areas of the workflow in parallel as you can in Excel / MS Word

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

MoinShaikBasha
7 - Meteor

Its been a while after this comment. NOt sure if it is updated in the newer versions. It would be great to have this.

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

@fmvizcaino  Would love to know if this already-available option in Designer solves this for you?

1. Select a tool.
  2. In the tool configuration pane, click on the navigation icon (should be second or third icon from the top in the left side of the configuration panel, depending whether you have XML displayed or not - it looks like a little arrow in a circle).
  3. In this configuration, you'll see the tools you're connected to listed (both inputs and outputs) as well as checkboxes for whether the connections are wireless. 
  4. Double click on the desired input/output, and it will navigate you to that tool (if it's in a collapsed Tool Container or Control Container, just be aware that this will likely expand the container again to show you the newly selected tool that you just navigated to)

While not a part of the context menu, it is an available option today in Designer as part of the tool configuration menu (and while I will sheepishly admit I only discovered this functionality VERY recently, I believe it's been in place for many years). Would love to hear your thoughts!  😁

NicoleJ_0-1686699660079.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me, @NicoleJ 

Honestly, I found out about the feature you mentioned after posting the idea and wouldn't have posted if I had known. 😅

100% acceptable, but IMO it is a hidden feature that should be better advertised.

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

@fmvizcaino You are not alone - it is definitely hidden, and I'll be doing my best to better advertise this functionality in the future!! Maybe time for a "super-secret tips & tricks" blog post! 😁

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Confirmed existing functionality: 

1. Select a tool.
  2. In the tool configuration pane, click on the navigation icon (should be second or third icon from the top in the left side of the configuration panel, depending whether you have XML displayed or not - it looks like a little arrow in a circle).
  3. In this configuration, you'll see the tools you're connected to listed (both inputs and outputs) as well as checkboxes for whether the connections are wireless. 
  4. Double click on the desired input/output, and it will navigate you to that tool (if it's in a collapsed Tool Container or Control Container, just be aware that this will likely expand the container again to show you the newly selected tool that you just navigated to)

Thanks!