Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

OData Connector or Input Tool (RESTful API)

It would be wonderful for Alteryx to be able to connect to and query OData feeds natively, rather than using a 3rd-party driver or custom macro.   

OData querying is supported by quite a few familiar products, including Excel and PowerBISSIS/SSRS, FME SafeTableau, and many others. And the protocol is used to publish feeds from Microsoft Dynamics and Sharepoint, as well as many of the 10,000 publically available government datasets with API's (esp. those hosted by Socrata)   

I didn't see it as in the Idea section, but questions and workarounds have been discussed in the community a few times (11/15, 3/18, 4/18), and suggestions seem to be just to buy the $400-600 ODBC driver from CDATA (or ZappySys), or I could use a VBA script in Excel trigger a refresh, or create my own Alteryx connector macro (great series btw, though most was beyond my understanding!) 

While not opposed paying, kludging, or learning to program, they're just one more thing to build/buy, install, maintain, and break at the most inconvenient time 🙂

Thanks,
Chadd

OData Overview:

OData (Open Data Protocol) is an ISO/IEC approvedOASIS standard that defines a set of best practices for building and consuming RESTful APIs. OData helps you focus on your business logic while building RESTful APIs without having to worry about the various approaches to define request and response headers, status codes, HTTP methods, URL conventions, media types, payload formats, query options, etc. OData also provides guidance for tracking changes, defining functions/actions for reusable procedures, and sending asynchronous/batch requests.  OData RESTful APIs are easy to consume. The OData metadata, a machine-readable description of the data model of the APIs, enables the creation of powerful generic client proxies and tools.

More info at at http://odata.org

29 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@TashaA and I were discussing the potential for splitting out RestAPI connector from the download tool.

This idea from you @ChaddB would fit in well with a refreshed RestAPI connector since this would be just another kind of RestAPI connection.

ChaddB
5 - Atom

Thanks @SeanAdams (still looking for user ID tag or upvote on the WYSIWYG!) 

cam_w
11 - Bolide

@SeanAdams and @TashaA It was nice to meet and talk briefly at Inspire 2018!

I have added my 'star' to this idea as well. It would be very helpful to have a separate RESTful API tool, as this class of connections seems to be growing.

PeterA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

One more Star for a ootb OData connector

ShawnM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

One more Star for a ootb OData connector as well

sean_bolte_dup_544
8 - Asteroid

Ding....another star

marod1971
7 - Meteor
I added another star
pdoppalapudi
5 - Atom

Add another star to provide OData connector in Alteryx

dustinswanson
5 - Atom

OData Feed is necessary to import data from MS Project Online. This would be very useful for every PMO using Project Online!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your post! This idea is being updated to the Revisit status as we like this idea and it's something we'd like to keep in mind for future updates, but cannot put on the roadmap at this time. We'll update the status however once we have a better idea on if and when it could be included in the roadmap.