Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Natural Language descriptions of a workflow

While I was trying to integrate Alteryx workflows into modern data catalogues got me thinking about the transformation lineage. To integrate the transformations into those applications, an understanding of what transformations are happening and in what order is needed. Why not take this one step further for documentation use?

So my suggestion is:

Create a natural language description of the transformations and sequencing of a workflow. This could be used as the default descriptions and exported as a readme file for reviewing (e.g. during workflow handover activities), adding workflows to version control or project plans. 

3 Comments
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hi @paul_houghton 

Thank you for sharing this one, I agree this would be a fantastic way to eliminate or reduce all of the time that is currently spent on documentation!

Id submitted a posted a while back suggesting something similar using the XML of a workflow and you’ll see some of the responses containing existing solutions:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/XML-to-Procedure-Document/idi-p/1011755

Regardless of how we get there, an enhanced or automated documentation feature would be awesome. 

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

This would be cool, as I often describe an Alteryx workflow as WYSIWYG. So it would be great if this would be reversed engineered to give a summary description such as “This workflow takes order data from SAP and summarises sales by region per month”.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes